有任何需要諮詢或團購服務的朋友.除私人訊息外.也可透過FB訊息或amy47620@gmail.com聯絡我們
也可加amy姐Line-0930115888.

德國狼狗 

後腿不能動了!

版主: doggydc, Jeff Wang, JLLinVET, 艾咪

德國狼狗

文章carmen » 2006-01-03, 23:56

Hi Doctor,

My German Shepherd's name is Gon. He is almost 6 years old now. 2 weeks ago, we found that he was lame on his left hind leg. We brought him to Vet and Vet's diagnose is hip dysplasia and arthritis. We gave Gon 3 kinds of drugs: anti-inflammatory, anti-stomachache and Glucosamine.
For the first 2 days, Gon's left leg got better from completely lamed to limping. After one week's medication, we stop the anti-infammatory. His leg became lame again in the other day and we even found his leg got muscle atrophy. We asked Vet's comment again and he suggested us to let him take another week of anti-inflammatory drug. If the sympton comes again after stopping the medicine, we have to consider to take surgery. As we love Gon very much and we'd like to ask numerous questions to get better understanding on Gon's problem:

1) Vet suggests us to feed Gon with Hills Science Prescription Diet - J/D so that it can replace anti-inflammatory and Glucosamine drugs and reduce the risk of side effect. What do you think? Is J/D good for Gon?

2) How come there will be muscle atrophy? Can it be recovered?

3) What kind of surgery with the lowest risk of side effect? Can Gon walk well like before after taking surgery?

4) In case Gon gets okay but not completely well after taking another week of medicine, please advise us what exercise we can give him so that we can avoid taking surgery.

5) During this period of time, pls adv if we should prevent Gon to take any exerise.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Carmen
carmen

文章: 13
註冊時間: 2006-01-03, 22:52
性別: 未指定

文章carmen » 2006-01-04, 11:10

Hi Doctor,

I attached the Gon's X-Ray photos for yr ref. As it's very difficult to take
pictures on the X-Ray copies, they may be a little blurry. Pls still help me to examine and give us yr comment.

Thanks so much!
Carmen
附加檔案
GON 2.jpg
GON 2.jpg (214.36 KiB) 被瀏覽 6363 次
GON 1.jpg
Gon's left hind leg has problem
GON 1.jpg (273.7 KiB) 被瀏覽 6363 次
carmen

文章Jeff Wang » 2006-01-04, 12:35

The radiographs are very blurry and has limited diagnostic value. If the position is correct, the Left hip has severe degenerated joint disease. However, I saw the name tag is on the right lower corner, most of the time, the tag should be either on the right top corner or left lower corner. Please make sure the radiographs are on the right position(please mark the side of leg on the x-ray film).

OK. Homework time.
Answer 1.
J/D is a good diet for the arthritis, but it can not replace the chondroprotective supplement such as glucosamine and chondroitin because the mechenism are different. It may reduce the daily dosage. J/D is not recommended to use on puppies or pregnant dogs.
Answer 2.
Muscular atrophy is because Gon did not use the muscle. It could recover after the original problem has been solved and the Gon keeps using the muscle.
Answer 3.
I have to assume you are talking about total hip replacement because that is the only surgical option left for the hips to him. Before the surgery, we need to rule out all other orthopedic and neurological problems and to make sure the problem is from the hip. Please don't laugh, we saw a lot of cases asked us for help in hips turned out to be from other orgins. If the left hip's picture is correct, I believe the dog has a 90% chance to walk better than before after total hip replacement. Of course, I need more scientific data to evaluate Gon.
Answer 4 and 5.
You can walk Gon 4 times per day. 15 minutes each time from now if he didn't show severe and significant limping after exercise.

Finally, I really recommend you give me 2 views of standard hip, 2 views of knee(lateral view needs to be single leg only) radiographs and a walking video file. That is going to help me a lot.

Dr. Wang
Jeff Wang

文章: 739
註冊時間: 2004-11-04, 10:15
來自: USA

文章carmen » 2006-01-04, 22:25

Hi Doctor Wang,

Thanks so much for yr valuable comment. At least, we know that this disease is not fatal and can be cured.

I'll go back to my Vet tomorrow and check clearly which sides of the leg are shown on the X-Ray. Will email you back at once.

Last night, Gon has started taking back the anti-inflammatory drugs. Yesterday, his left hind leg couldn't touch the floor during walking and even had difficulty to lie on the floor. Today, his leg still not able to touch the floor during walking but it seems much better when lying down without problem. I will check if the situation will become better tomorrow and will take video for you to evaluate.

Thanks,
Carmen
carmen

文章carmen » 2006-01-05, 09:44

Good Morning Doctor Wang,

Today is the third day Gon taking back anti-inflammatory drugs again.
However, his hind left leg still cannot touch the floor during in this morning. Do you think I should take one more week of anti-inflammatory drugs from my Vet to investigate longer? Because I don't want to make the surgery decision so roughly. As you said, the origin may be due to other orthopedic and neurological problem. Pls give me yr valuable comment.

Thanks a lot.

Carmen
carmen

文章Jeff Wang » 2006-01-06, 08:35

Hi Carmen:
CHD rarely caused a leg not walking at all. As I said, I really need some good quality radiographs and walking video to help you. Before you cut, make sure you cut the right thing at the right place.

Jeff Wang
Jeff Wang

文章: 739
註冊時間: 2004-11-04, 10:15
來自: USA

文章carmen » 2006-01-07, 14:35

Hi Doctor Wang,

I've checked my Vet. Here attached with 4 photos and 4 walking videos.
The X-Ray copies are the same ones as before but we marked L & R on the photos and enlarged the Left hip part for yr evaluation.

Thanks,
Carmen
附加檔案
GON.jpg
Marked L & R
GON.jpg (130.28 KiB) 被瀏覽 6253 次
Both side joints.jpg
Marked L & R
Both side joints.jpg (144.48 KiB) 被瀏覽 6253 次
Left hip joint zoomed in.jpg
Enlarged the left hip joint part
Left hip joint zoomed in.jpg (255.25 KiB) 被瀏覽 6253 次
carmen

文章carmen » 2006-01-07, 14:38

CONTINUE WITH PHOTOS AND VIDEOS............
附加檔案
002.jpg
Enlarged left hip joint part attached on the original photo
002.jpg (157.84 KiB) 被瀏覽 6252 次

Lying Down.AVI [ 283.71 KiB | 被瀏覽 6252 次 ]

Sitting.AVI [ 267.52 KiB | 被瀏覽 6252 次 ]

carmen

文章carmen » 2006-01-07, 14:40

CONTINUE......LAST VIDEO......
附加檔案

Walking2.AVI [ 249.33 KiB | 被瀏覽 6251 次 ]

carmen

文章carmen » 2006-01-07, 15:03

Hi Doctor Wang,

I hoped the photos and videos attached here can be enough for you to examine out the real problem Gon has.

You mentioned that CHD rarely caused a dog not walking. I think may be it's my mistake to let Gon's problem getting more serious. After taken 1st week anti-inflammation, Gon improved from left hind leg not walking to limping. Then, we stopped the drugs for 2 days. On the second day, I brought him to do ~5 minutes walk. Unfortunately, Gon fell into a shallow hole by accident during the walk. On the third day, his left hind leg couldn't walk again. So, I asked my Vet for another week of anti-inflammation drugs.

Today is the forth day after Gon has taken back anti-inflammatory drugs but he still can't walk as you can see in the videos. What should I do now? I asked my Vet's opinion and he doesn't suggest to keep taking anti-inflammatory drugs again after finished the on hands. He thinks we should let Gon rests well during this period of time and wait for few more days to see if there is any improvement. If not, then bring Gon to see him again. What do you think? I'm helpless at this moment. Pls give me yr profession suggestion on this.

Again, thanks so much for yr help.

Regards,
Carmen
carmen

文章carmen » 2006-01-07, 15:10

FOUND 1 PHOTO AND 1 VIDEO CAN'T BE POSTED IN LAST EMAIL.................POST AGAIN NOW
附加檔案
Left hip joint zoomed in.jpg
Enlarged Left Hip Joint
Left hip joint zoomed in.jpg (255.25 KiB) 被瀏覽 6244 次

Walking1.AVI [ 144.68 KiB | 被瀏覽 6244 次 ]

carmen

文章carmen » 2006-01-07, 15:15

NOT KNOWING WHY THE ENLARGED LEFT HIP PHOTO KEEPS NOT ABLE TO BE POSTED .............TRY AGAIN THIS TIME
附加檔案
LJ.jpg
LJ.jpg (204.7 KiB) 被瀏覽 6243 次
carmen

下一頁

回到 骨科

誰在線上

正在瀏覽這個版面的使用者:沒有註冊會員 和 2 位訪客